In case you are having apps crash on your Windows 10 1709 install with latest security updates. Thanksgiving security update is causing apps to crash.
Microsoft just enhanced the security of Windows 10, but sadly some apps were not ready and will crash on startup due to the new security controls.
What is ASLR (Address space layout randomization)?
- Search in Windows for: Windows Defender Security Center
- Click on the second icon from the bottom: “App & browser control”
- Scroll to the bottom and click on: “Exploit protection settings”
- Click Program settings and then the “Add program to customize” button
- Click Choose exact file path
- Pick ExampleApp.exe – Pick the app crashing
- Scroll down to: Force randomization for images (mandatory ASLR)
- Check: “Override system settings” and set to “Off” and click Apply
The apps are crashing because of the new mandatory ASLR security feature that is now enabled by default.